Old City Hall

The nine-story landmark building, designed by Martin Luther Hampton in 1927, is a reminder of the eclectic architecture of Miami Beach in the 1920s and 1930s. Built in the wake of the deadly hurricane of 1926, which damaged almost every building in Miami and Miami Beach, the City Hall building became a major symbol of Miami Beach’s determination to prevail in the wake of the storm.

Located in the National Register Historic District, City Hall was locally designated as an individual historic structure in 1983. The building was designated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as an Official Project of Save America’s Treasures in 1999.

The historic building housed municipal government offices from 1928 to 1977. In 1993, the historic structure was substantially restored and renovated for adaptive reuse as a mixed-use facility containing municipal court space, private offices, and retail and public areas. In 2000, the lobby was historically restored and the building was modified to comply with the latest ADA requirements.

Now, several Miami Beach government offices, Miami-Dade County court, The Miami Beach Cinemateque and the LGBT Visitor Center call Old City Hall home.